Friday, January 25, 2013

Waking Up... Romance or Drama?

I was thinking about my recently released novel Waking Up and I realized that while there is romance in the story, there are darker themes that perhaps make it less romantic than other novels I previously grouped the novel with. It certainly isn't in the same category as my first novel Creole Escape.

Waking Up is a darker novel than Creole Escape. While Creole Escape is a light-hearted story of love conceived and written when I was in my teens and early twenties, Waking Up has more depth to the story, the characters, the themes. There are parts of the story may be uncomfortable to the reader.

As such, I may have been a bit hasty to label Waking Up a romance novel. While it certainly can fit in that category, it is more of a dramatic fiction novel about a contemporary woman's struggle to accept herself and her past in a world that she feels will not accept her as she is.

So the disclaimer's coming a bit late, but here it is: Waking Up is a darkly-themed novel thick with deep emotions. If you're looking for light-hearted reading, may I suggest Creole Escape?

No comments:

Post a Comment